Hello, Joy Tribe!
The quest for happiness is on. But, can happiness truly be found? It seems as if many of us are searching for it high & low. And every time we think we’ve found it, it slips through our fingers.
We can’t seem to get a good grasp on it. One minute we have it. The next it’s gone. We’re ecstatic when we feel its presence. And then sad, lost, confused, and depleted when it’s “gone”. Sneaky happiness!
There might be an answer to why it feels so evasive though. Do any of these sound familiar to you?
“I’ll be happy if and when my partner…”
“I’ll be happy when I find the right job for me.”
“I’ll be happy when I can find the time to do the things I enjoy.”
“I’ll be happy when I have more money.”
“I’ll be happy if I get the promotion.”
“I’ll be happy when I move from this house/city/state.”
Notice a pattern? Yes! It’s the “I’ll be happy if/when” syndrome!
The “If/When” Syndrome
In our search for happiness, we’ve developed this “if/when” condition. We’re looking to find joy through exterior sources and circumstances. “IF or when something happens, THEN I’ll be happy.”
As Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, humanitarian & peace ambassador, said in the 1st ever World Happiness Summit in Miami earlier this month, “If you follow wisdom, happiness will find you. If you seek joy, you’ll find misery. Happiness is already within you. No one has the power to take your joy away.”
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s definition of wisdom has three pillars:
- Broaden Your Vision: Expand the context of life. Expand what you’re seeing. Look at something from a different perspective.
- Be Committed: Have a strong commitment towards happiness, purpose, and meaning in all aspects of life. Be committed to being who you are and finding significance in whatever you do.
- Be Compassionate: See things from a bigger picture. You can be the source of happiness when you have compassion for others.
You GET to choose.
Every moment, you have a choice of what you focus on. You GET to choose how you’re going to look at something. You GET to choose what to hold onto and what to let go of. You GET to choose happiness.
Nothing can TAKE away your joy.
You are the SOURCE of your happiness.
And you are capable of SHARING it and RECEIVING more back.
Still not convinced happiness is the way to go? Benefits of Choosing Happiness:
- Strengthened immune system
- Increased creativity & productivity
- Improved relationships
- Decreased stress (lower levels of the stress hormone, cortisol)
- Lowered heart rate
The Great Barrier to Happiness
One of the greatest barriers to happiness is the belief that we should be happy all of the time. I’ve got some great news for you! You do NOT have to be happy all of the time. You have permission to be human! You CAN experience painful emotions.
- Allow yourself to feel your feelings.
- Let the painful experience flow through your body, and then choose to let it go, so you can focus on finding a new perspective or on celebrating the good and joyful moments.
- As it often said, “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.”
I know, I know! You want more on happiness. I got you covered! In April, I’ll be sharing tools & tips to cultivate the happiness within, so stay tuned! In the meantime, if you live in or near Miami, come check out one of my FREE workshops to start cultivating more inner peace & happiness in your life!
With love & joy,
For workshops in Spanish (¡en español!), click here!